Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Creating a WordPress Website for a Fictional Library

Our class assignment this week was to create an original website, using WordPress, for a fictional library.  I created Bard Public Library, located in the fictional town of Bard, Montana.

Here is the link to my library webpage:  http://iajohnst.byethost11.com/

Theme Choice:  I chose the AlbinoMouse theme, as I appreciated its modern look and coloring scheme, combined with its simplicity and clean-cut aesthetic style.  AlbinoMouse is a responsive, mobile-friendly theme for WordPress websites and was obviously designed in a minimalistic style.  I wish that more websites would utilize such a style, making them clearer and easier to navigate for some users.

Plugins: I agree with some of my classmates' posts in that perhaps the most convoluted and time-consuming part of creating this WordPress site was installing and figuring out the plug-ins.  I installed, activated, and tested out a Facebook "like" button, a Facebook "send" button, and a Google + button onto all of my pages.  I also installed and activated the Akismet Support application, though I am not entirely sure if I have been using it correctly.

Administration: I found the process of setting up administrative access for different users to be relatively seamless.  As long as the other users have active e-mail addresses, those individuals can easily be granted administrative rights.

Blogs: I created a couple of different blogs, including a blog about new Shakespearean and Early Modern plays and texts now available in audio format for patrons to check out and another one offering writing and research help for college and upper-level high school English students.

Conclusion: I do have some previous experience using WordPress, but I only just began using it less than two months ago, so these experiences are still very new for me.  Also, these experiences are mostly for managing and maintaining websites -- posting event information, updating photos, making corrections.  That is to say, until this assignment, I had no experience actually creating and customizing my own website.  One thing that I liked about using WordPress to create my fictional library website is that the system offers automatic updates.  WordPress is currently the most popular blogging tool in use on the Internet, and I can see why.  I will definitely use it in the future for web design projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment