Tuesday, October 29, 2013

GIS and Google Fusion Mapping Project for Dare County Public Libraries

The Google Fusion map for Dare County’s public libraries containing the Fusion layer of median household incomes can be found at:  file:///C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/DareCountyMap.html.  In addition to median household incomes for Dare County, I included the total population for each area that appears on the map.  I almost chose to create my layered map for Guilford or Forsyth County, since I am very familiar with both, but I decided instead on Dare County, because it is a county I am totally unfamiliar with, which makes the process even more interesting.  I didn't even know where in North Carolina it was located before I looked it up.  Dare County's total area includes most of the Pamlico Sound.  Land mass, therefore, composes only less than 25% of the county's total area.  Perhaps this geographical fact may help to account for Dare County's rather limited number of public libraries.  One of Dare County's public libraries is the Dare County Public Library, located in the city of Manteo; the other is the Hatteras Branch Library, located in the city of Hatteras.  Like Scotland County, the mean income of Dare County does not exceed $68,000, and its population and population density are very small, compared with other North Carolina counties.  If you look at my map, you will see that the highest income levels occur in the northern parts of Dare County, where the population ranges are in the seven and eight thousands.  Though it was probably the most challenging assignment I've had to do for this class, I probably learned the most from it.  I appreciate the new knowledge and geographical mapping experience I have gained as a result.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.... I can't believe that Dare County has only 2 public libraries. It would be interesting to know if the public school libraries are able to compensate for this at least for the juvenile population. I suspect that they are not well funded as the income level of the county is quite low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Betsy. I was surprised by the lack of public libraries in the county. But in looking at the maps for some of the other counties in the state (Scotland and Cleveland, for example), it appears that Dare is not the only county to have only two or three.

    ReplyDelete